When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a few minutes to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair technician to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Stark Services, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Stark Services prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Haltom City, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that might come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for severe weather in Haltom City or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 817-668-6689 or schedule an appointment with Stark Services through our online scheduler.