How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Haltom City Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments answer to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide incidents each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually associated with wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources along with gas or oil furnaces.

Why should you be constantly aware of CO2?

The short answer is that CO2 awareness is a matter of life and death. CO2 is among the leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning is often confused as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning an often hidden enemy that can be fatal over several years, or within just a few short hours. Acute poisoning takes place from breathing large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning may also happen gradually over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can contact Stark Services to purchase one today.
  2. Batteries should be checked on a consistent basis for existing CO2 detectors. It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us